401(k) to Roth IRA

January 14, 2017

If you have pre and post tax money in a 401(k), can you roll just the post tax money over into a Roth IRA and leave the pre tax money in the 401(k)? Jim and Chris answer this question from a listener in New Jersey and also discuss the Ordering Rules for how money comes out of a 401(k). They also answer a Kentucky listener’s question regarding what to do with an older 401(k) when you move into a new 401(k) due to a job promotion.

Check out the background of firms and investment professionals on FINRA’s BrokerCheck.

Jim Saulnier and Associates | 970-530-0556 | 506 East Mulberry Street, Fort Collins, Colorado 80524

Jim Saulnier, Registered Representative, Securities offered through Cambridge Investment Research, Inc., a Broker/Dealer, Member FINRA/SIPC to residents of: CO, IA, IN, MA, NY, TN, TX, WI and WY. No offers may be made to or accepted from any resident outside the specific states mentioned. Jim Saulnier, Investment Advisor Representative, Cambridge Investment Research Advisors, Inc., a Registered Investment Advisor. Financial Planning services offered through Jim Saulnier and Associates, LLC., a Registered Investment Advisor. Cambridge and Jim Saulnier & Associates, LLC are not affiliated.