Rolling Over TSP to a Roth, Retirement Spending Trends, and Roth Conversions: Q&A #2014

April 4, 2020

Rolling Over TSP to a Roth, Retirement Spending Trends, and Roth Conversions: Q&A #2014

Jim calls into the studio today as he and Chris answer listener’s questions about rolling over a TSP into a Roth IRA, retirement spending trends, Roth conversions, and more.

(11:55) A listener asks about rolling over tax exempt (combat zone earned) funds from a TSP to a Roth.

(41:40) A Floridian wonders what is Jim and Chris’s experience with clients’ spending trends.

(50:40) A California listener would like to know if defined contribution plans are considered pension plans in calculating Social Security benefits and WEP.

(1:01:50) Jim and Chris answer two questions (even though Jim initially mentions three), both very similar in nature: Should I convert to a Roth?

(1:01:50) A Texan first asks if he can and should delay his pension past age 62.  He then asks if he should convert to a Roth during his tax planning window.

(1:10:20) Likewise, another listener poses some options regarding Roth conversions and wonders if he should convert; if so, what would be the best way?

Check out the background of firms and investment professionals on SEC’s Adviser Info Page.

Jim Saulnier and Associates | 970-530-0556 | 506 East Mulberry Street, Fort Collins, Colorado 80524

Ed Slott Advisor recognition requires an advisor to be well versed on the rules and regulations regarding IRAs. The advisor must attend two live training sessions and pass two written exams annually to remain in the program. Jim Saulnier & Associates, LLC (“RIA Firm”) is a registered investment adviser located in Fort Collins, CO. Jim Saulnier & Associates, LLC may only transact business in those states in which it is registered, or qualifies for an exemption or exclusion from registration requirements. Current registered states: CA, CO, PA, TX, WA, IL Insurance products and services are offered and sold through James H. Saulnier, a Colorado licensed insurance producer, only in those states in which he is reciprocally licensed or qualifies for an exemption or exclusion from licensing requirements. Current reciprocal insurance licensing in these states: AZ, CA, CA, CN, FL, HI, IA, MA, MD, NY, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI, WY Click here for a more detailed disclosure.